Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Poached Eggs and Pizza Dough

Not together, of course. First, the pizza dough.

Recipe first. Why, and what I did, after.
____________________________________________________________________
Pizza Dough
(makes 2 large, or 6 calzones)

4 cups flour (any)
1 tsp salt

1 1/2 c. warm water, divided
1/3 c. honey
1 package yeast

2 Tbsp. olive oil

Dissolve honey in 1/2 c. hot water. Once dissolved, add 1/4 c. cold water and yeast. Stir to dissolve yeast and let sit for 5-10 minutes, until yeast has become foamy. In standing mixer place flour and salt. Using dough mixer, turn on to stir. Add yeast water and olive oil. Increase speed to knead the dough once flour is mixed in. Knead in mixer for 5-10 minutes. Remove, form balls of dough to suit your recipe (i.e. 2 equal balls for 2 large pizzas). Let rise for 30 minutes to an hour. When ready to form your pizzas, shape the dough into flat rounds with your hands. Do NOT use a rolling pin.
____________________________________________________________________

Okay, so now for my secrets. I made some calzones a couple days ago using this recipe. I had to write down exactly what I did because my dough has never turned out so soft and pliable. It stretched easily but didn't tear, and it was like holding a pillow of squishy foam (but better tasting, I'm sure).

First, I had to double the original recipe, so I actually did the whole thing with only 3/4 cups of water before I realized I needed to add more water. At this point, I had turned the mixer on and the first 3/4 cups had already been incorporated into the flour. So I just measured out another 3/4 cups of cold water and poured it in. The dough became a ball pretty quickly and the mixer started the kneading process. I let it knead for 5 minutes and then removed it. It felt almost sticky, but not quite. Definitely not dry. I didn't add anymore flour for the shaping process. I just kneaded it by hand for another 20 seconds or so, then made a log and cut out 6 rolls. Placed them on a wooden cutting board and covered them with a kitchen towel for at least a half hour. It was probably closer to an hour, but they had doubled in size. They I shaped them, and like I said, the dough was unbelievably soft and pliable. There was no need to even toss it in the air. It stretched like it was designed to become a calzone.

Note on the flour: I usually grind my own wheatberries, but I ran out a while back and haven't gotten anymore. So I've been using the King Arthur's Bread Flour from the store. It's the least processed (I think) and the softest by far. It's the one in the white and blue bag. I'll definitely try this recipe with my own flour, though. I have a feeling it'll still turn out awesome.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I made some breakfast this morning using a potato/onion saute I made yesterday. I cooked up some yellow squash for about 10 minutes, then added half a diced tomato and a couple small green chiles with some italian seasoning and salt. Then I put the two together (potato and squash) and topped it with two poached eggs.

I've never cooked my own poached eggs before, so I checked out a couple youtube videos. I used the Australian guy's technique, and the eggs turned out great. He says they cook for about 10 minutes, but I made my with a wet yolk and only cooked them for about 1-2 minutes each. I have a feeling I'll be poaching eggs more often. How do you like your eggs?

No comments:

Post a Comment